BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mullings


I've been thinking about work. Mainly, whether or not I want to do any! (Paid, that is...) I have graduated from nursing school and I'm planning on taking my boards sometime in the next couple of months, but Mark and I decided that I wouldn't start the job hunt till after Christmas. This will give me some time with Anna, which has been pretty hit-and-miss since she was born. Lousy school. Having spent a week at home with Anna being a stay-at-home-mom, the question of whether I want to get a job at all has entered my mind. Now, before you flip out that I'm making this decision based on one week's experience, I have neither made a decision nor am I naive enough to think that the rest of Anna's babyhood will be as delightful as these last few days have been! However, the wheels have been turning regarding my future role. Or roles.

The debate in my mind is between the following two issues: 1) being at home full time will allow me to invest fully into the life of my child. I will not have to depend on anyone else to follow our routine, discipline techniques (once we actually begin to implement them!) or parenting philosophies. Also, I will never have that slightly guilty thought of "What if she's having a bad day?" when I leave her with someone. I have been on the receiving end of that with other people's kids and did not kove it! 2) Going to work will provide a needed boost to our income, will allow me to make use of the training I've received - twice! - and will provide me with a challenging, stimulating arena in which adult interaction takes place. Plus I love being in the clinical setting. That's why I went to nursing school in the first place.

I think that my priority is to be fully invested in raising Anna and not take for granted that someone else will be as committed to taking care of her as I will. I just don't know whether I can do that while I spend 12-hour days taking care of other people. However ... I do believe that God called me into nursing, and gave me a love for it. Does that mean I have to sacrifice some of what I can sow into Anna's life if I stay at home with her full time?

These are my mullings today .... any thoughts?

3 comments:

Amanda said...

This is one of those things where you have to be led in peace by the Holy Spirit. Only He can answer this question for you. What feels peaceful and purposeful for you? You won't regret a decision made in His peace. As you hear from Him, move forward in His confidence without questioning your judgment. Don't allow other people's opinions or decisions to make yours--you are Esther, child of God, and you can hear what He has to say. I know you'll make the right decision for your family. You are a champion. So proud of you and all your hard work!!!

luke said...

Oh that's easy, just find a part-time nurse-from-home job. ;) But really, I think pushing it off until after Christmas is a smart move.

Remember we can have play-dates soon!

The Smackeys said...

I think it's great you're taking a break and not thinking about the hospital so you can love on little Anna for now. However, I recommend you take that NCLEX and get it out of your way ASAP while school is still fresh in your mind. I definitely agree with what the Geidlbots said as well, but personally, I already feel like I've forgotten some nursing stuff - just from having a whole 4 months off of work. Use that expensive training in some way or lose some of it, sister. :) I'll be praying for you & Mark as you make this decision - that you can come to a solution you feel peace about. Love you!

P.S. How does your hubby feel about it all?